New striker the priority for Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini

Pellegrini spoke to the press on Wednesday

  • News: Fernandinho: City one of the world’s best
  • News: Pellegrini happy to curb City spending
  • News: Pellegrini reveals prior City & Liverpool interest
  • News: Juve tell Tevez to lose weight
  • News: Pellegrini: City will beat United for fans
  • News: Man City step up Jovetic interest

Manuel Pellegrini has made signing a striker his main aim in the transfer market as he looks to bolster Manchester City’s squad.

Sevilla’s £20 million-rated forward Alvaro Negredo, who scored 31 goals last season, is the FA Cup finalists’ main target as they look for a replacement for Carlos Tevez, who was sold to Juventus.

Fiorentina attacker Stevan Jovetic also interests City, a source said, though Brazil international Fred, who had been linked with the club, is not on Pellegrini’s shortlist and the Premier League club have not contacted Roma about Italy international Pablo Osvaldo.

And new manager Pellegrini said: “We have two strikers and we need another one but I am not talking about any names.”

Pellegrini explained the sale of former captain Tevez, who scored 74 goals for City, and defended the decision, saying the Argentine wanted to end his four-year stay at the Etihad Stadium.

He added: “I spoke with Carlos weeks ago. I feel that Carlos didn’t want to stay here any more. He was very clear telling me. It was the best choice for Carlos and the club.”

Winger Jesus Navas and midfielder Fernandinho are City’s two summer signings so far but, while sporting director Txiki Begiristain was also involved in their recruitment, Pellegrini insisted he chose both.

He said: “Yes, of course. I spoke a lot with Txiki about both, they are very important players and they are here.”

There is speculation about the future of midfielder Gareth Barry, who is a reported target for Arsenal, and defender Joleon Lescott, who lost his place last season.

Pellegrini is yet to decide whether both will stay or go but said he will consult them about their future, which could be resolved soon.

He added: “In the next week we will see on differing situations with different players. I will speak with Txiki and with all the players also to see what they want.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s